There are four main shopping centres just outside the town centre which have a variety of shops and restaurants.
Ipercoop “Il Castello” Centro Commerciale
Via A. Negri, 7
Monday to Saturday 8:30 am – 9:30 pm, Sunday 9:00 am – 8:30 pm
This is the largest shopping centre in Ferrara and can be reached by the number 11 bus from the city centre (The bus stops just in front of Viale Cavour’s gardens next to the castle. Get off just after the main roundabout at the end of Via Bologna. The bus stop to return is on the opposite side).
Inside there is a big supermarket (Ipercoop) which sells clothes, bedding, kitchen and household items, school stationary, books, electrical goods and food. It is generally much cheaper to shop here than in the smaller supermarkets and boutiques in the town centre. There are many other shops too including book shops, electrical stores, children’s clothes stores, shoe shops, a hairdresser’s, Vodafone, Chicco, H&M, bars and restaurants.
Ipercoop “Le Mura” Centro Commerciale
Via Copparo, 132/53
Monday to Saturday 8:30 am – 9:00 pm & Sunday 9:00 am – 8:00 pm
The supermarket is the same as the one inside “Il Castello” but on a smaller scale and it is only a bike ride away from school!
Coop “Via Modena”
Via Modena, 17
Monday to Saturday 8:00 am – 9:00 pm
There is a small Ipercoop which sells food, a McDonald’s Drive and a shop which sells everything for the house and garden called “Happy Casa”.
Centro Commerciale “Il Diamante”
Via Diamantina, 23
9:00 am – 8:00 pm general times
A new supermarket called Iper Tosano opened on 23rd March 2017 and is extremely popular as it has well-known food brands at great prices. This shopping centre is really growing fast after it was hit badly by the economic crisis. It now has Upim which is a clothes shop for all the family, Maxi Zoo (a pet shop), Casa with gadgets for the home and a stationary store. Next door to the shopping centre is Pitarello – an excellent shoe shop, a cheap shop selling knick-knacks and a Chinese restaurant called Sushiko which has excellent meal deals.
L’Outlet Delta Po opened on 12th April 2017 in Occhiobello.
LIDL – Via Eridano 2g – Monday to Saturday 8:30 am – 8:00 pm
LIDL – Via Darsena 67e – Monday to Saturday 8:30 am – 8:00 pm
LIDL – Via dell’unità d’Italia 2, Occhiobello – Monday to Saturday 8:30 am – 8:00 pm
LIDL is a supermarket which has great prices, good fruit and vegetables, meat and items from other countries. In Occhiobello (a village just outside Ferrara) LIDL is also open also on Sundays and has a new bakery.
Porta Catena, 39 near the station or Via Padova, 139/195 Pontelagoscuro
Monday to Saturday 8:30 am – 8:00 pm
Sunday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Via Padova 193/195
Monday to Saturday 8:30 am – 8:00 pm
Sunday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Eurospin, like LIDL, is a discount supermarket which sells a range of basic food essentials at very cheap prices.
Via Padova, 207
Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 9:00 pm
Sunday 9:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Shops in the town centre generally open from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm (sometimes 1:30 pm) then re-open again at 4:00 pm to 7:30 pm Supermarkets open earlier in the mornings.
- Shops are generally closed in the town centre on Sundays and Thursday afternoons (apart from around Christmas time)
- Most hairdresser’s, bars and restaurants are closed on Mondays.
- The chemist’s near school (just before the roundabout) with the green cross displayed outside is open 24hours a day. There are other chemists which are open 24 hours around the city.
- ALWAYS take your receipt or ask for one and keep it until you get home, even if you are just buying a coffee. You can be stopped by the police outside the shop and would be fined if you couldn’t produce a receipt.